Blarney U14’s Bow Out of Local Cup after 4 -4 match thriller.

Blarney 2003’s were very unlucky not to progress away to Douglas Hall in the local cup, The wind swept conditions at Moneygourney made it difficult for both teams to play football. BUFC played against the wind in the first half and after a tentative start it was plain to see that it was going to be a difficult game for both sides. Blarneys midfield pairing of Shane O Shea and Sean Mc Carthy did very well to take control of the ball and after a through ball by Sean Mac, Conor O Riordan slotted his first of three for the day. Douglas Hall equalised with a speculative shot that found its way into  the back of the net, but from the start with good work from Eoghan Maloney and Ben Hutchinson the ball broke to Conor O Riordan and he lobbed the defence and keeper to put Blarney back in the lead, Sean Mac slotted a through ball to Luke Keogh who finished with deadly accuracy to give Blarney a 2 goal cushion. The Blarney defense were holding firm and Jack Homan and Eoin Kirby on top. The Douglas second came as Blarney struggled to get the ball down the pitch with the gale force wind in their faces and as the ball came to the Douglas hall striker his shot took a massive deflection leaving Ben Maher the goalkeeper helpless . Blarney had the lead of 3 to 2 at Half Time.

With an injury to Jack Homan Blarney had to reshuffle the back 4, Scott Mc Elroy came on for Jack Homan and Denis Mc Sweeney slotted in as part of the Centre back pairing with the excellent Eoin Kirby, Adam Higgins playing right back was marking Douglas’s tricky winger who was a major threat all game.  The wind pick up more in the second half and Blarney got a forth when Ben Hutchinson had a shot that the keeper spilled and Conor slotted home to his credit. Dean O Shea just back from injury came on and was very unlucky not to capitalise on good attacking football from Blarney. As luck would have it the wind died down for Douglas and to their credit they never gave up and with got a third goal with a mix up in the box after attacking down the right wing. Their forth came from a shot which was destined for the Top corner but the Brave Maher saved but was unable to get their for the follow up which made it 4 a piece.

Extra time was a good battle with d both teams cancelling each other out where chances were limited apart from a few efforts from long distance,  The clock ran down and it was time for the lottery of the penalty shootout where Blarney’s keeper Maher saved twice  The score was 3 to 2 on penalties and the pressure was on Luke Keogh to keep Blarney in the tie and he made no mistake in slotting the ball to his left putting the keeper the wrong way.  With Sudden Death to come and Douglas who had the rub of the green all day won when Blarney’s penalty we over the bar,  It was a great effort from the the lads and while all players played well, special mention should go to Conor O Riordan who scored a hat trick, Shane O Shea and Sean Mc Carthy for a top performance and Ben Maher who was heroic between the sticks.